Thursday, February 1, 2007

What a difference a day makes! Within 24 hours, I went from minus 30 in Saskatchewan to plus 30 in Accra, Ghana. I must say the most remarkable thing that I experienced today was seeing the landscape from my window seat from Frankfurt to Accra. Last year, we travelled across most of the African continent in the dark because of the timing of out flights. Today, I hit the jackpot with my window seat. We flew over the Swiss Alps, I think some mountains that could have been in Spain or France (they didn't have any snow on them). We flew over the Mediterranean Sea and I saw many islands that I will try to identify once I get home and start looking through our Atlas.
Then came some of the African country side. The desert was beautiful and like nothing I'd ever seen except for National Geographic specials on television. I didn't see any herds of anything roaming, but I was up pretty high! We flew out over the ocean and came around to land in Lagos. There were many trees/forests there which I wasn't expecting. We only landed there to let passengers depart and to refuel so all that were traveling on to Accra stayed on the plane. We then took off to go out over the ocean again to come round about to land back in Accra.
Getting off the plane, we were hit with the heat and humidity that we were all expecting. Because all of us checked our baggage at our original places of departure, we were all very happy to see each bag come through the door to the carrossel. That is, except for Gene and Barry. Two of their bags came through, but two did not. I'll let Barry tell you that story. Once we all settled into our rooms, we went out for a cool drink and now everyone is getting ready to settle in for the night.
Tomorrow will be a busy day and hopefully, Barry and Gene will get their bags delivered. I'm off for a good night's sleep.
Marcia.